- The St. John United Federal Credit Union is a Community Development Credit Union (CDCU) a financial cooperative, owned by it's members who live, work, worship or attend school in the city of Buffalo, NY. This credit union exists for the financial benefit of the membership and the community at large.
- As a Community Development Credit Union, we advocate revitalization, education, community development and the rekindling of community pride and volunteerism. We seek to maintain the credit union's long-term financial stability and foster the credit union's philosophy of
'People Helping People'
What is a "Credit Union"?
- A credit union is a group of people who have joined together for the purpose of saving their money in a common fund from which loans are made to the credit union members.....’People Helping People.’
- Credit Unions are significantly different from other financial institutions in that members are also owners. Each member / owner establishes their ‘share’ within the credit when they open their savings (share) account. Members / owners of the credit union participate in the credit union’s direction by electing the board of directors.
What happens to the earnings of a Credit Union?
- Credit Unions are different in that earnings are distributed back to the members in terms of:
- Dividends to Members
- Lower Loan Rates
- Increased Services to Members